Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Codices of the Occult

A list of some of my favorite books that deal with terror, horror, and all things that go bump in the night. What are some of your favorite scary books? I am always up for another chilling tale!

I am Legend
-One of the first books of horror I ever read and one that I still love.

Planks of Reason
-A volume of essays confronting the genre of horror films

The Hair Wreath and Other Tales
-I randomly picked this up during the Borders liquidation (mostly for the cool cover art), but I was not disappointed.

A Cannibal's Letter Home
-This is a great piece of writing by my friend Rachel Richardson, an up and coming creative writer of incredible talent.

The Tales of H.P. Lovecraft
-Oldies but goodies.

The Handmaid's Tale
-Not really a horror story, but terrifying none the less.

The Stepford Wives
-Surprisingly simple and truly creepy.

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
-Seriously, what rained out recess in elementary school was not made better by reading these aloud? And those illustrations! Fantastic!

World War Z
-Truly chilling, for me, these stories got to the heart of terror.

No comments:

Post a Comment