Saturday, December 29, 2012

Spiced Strawberry Pie



For those of us that travel to family for the holidays one of the best things you can contribute to the family spread is a pie. Pie is easy to make, it travels well, and most everyone loves a pie (except me, I am not a fan of pie). Regardless, allow me to share with you one of my pie recipes that everyone likes, spiced strawberry pie.

Ingredients:

For the Filling - 

5 cups halved fresh strawberries
3 tbs sugar
2 tbs cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cloves
1/2+ cup orange zest

In a large mixing bowl combine all filling ingredients and set aside.

For the Crust - 

2.5 cups flour
2/3 cup shortening
1 tsp salt
8-10 tbs of water
1tsp of vanilla extract

Mix all crust ingredients into a mixing bowl, thrashing with a fork until thoroughly combined. Squeeze the dough into a ball with your hands. Divide ball in half. 

Roll one dough half out and place into a greased pie pan, pressing in the corners. 

Place pie filling into dough-lined pie pan. 

Roll out the other dough half and cover the top of the pie. Cut off the extra pie dough that hangs over the edge. Press the dough seams together. Use leftover pie dough to reinforce the seams...or make homemade cinnamon sticks (more on that later). Also, don't forget to cut 'air holes' in the pie. 

Bake at 375* for 50 minutes. Enjoy.

(Also, I have no idea what happened to the pictures I took of my pie, it looks like my camera ate them. I am seriously upset too because I even decorated the top of my pie! Oh well.)

No comments:

Post a Comment